Thursday, July 14, 2011

Molting


The shell

Saw the crayfish laying there,
wif its head twisted.

I tot it's dead.
Another dead body,
this tme not in reservoirs but in my tank.

Then took another look,
The crayfish was right behind.

Molting!
Part of a growing up process.
First tme came across this.

I did a close examination on the shell (exoskeleton).

On the appearance, it's a full crayfish, without the eyes.
Just like a photocopied image.

The legs, the cheliped ("pincers" in layman's term)
and amazingly the two antennas are fully intact.
How they managed
to have double pair of antenna in a nite?

Also, there's no signs of cracks.

Left me wondering hw it shed it's clothes.
Great escapee I supposed.



shell, next to the "naked" crayfish

The new shell looks reddish.
Frm wat I've got frm googling,
the shell is extremely thin & vunerable.
Two days later the shell will harden
to become its next armored exterior.

No comments:

Post a Comment